Tuesday 8 January 2013

Afterthoughts


Having wrapped up my Easter Island research I feel there are a couple of things I should mention concerning the blog. My blog has largely focussed on alternative explanations to the mysteries of Easter Island as opposed to the conventional story, largely because I personally find it more believable (and interesting). I hope I have remained as objective as possible in presenting the research I've done and I hope you readers also kept an open mind when reading this blog and do so should you go on to do further research. It’s important to note that we do not fully know the story of Easter and continued research is almost always necessary with these sorts of things. Even with the alternative story there are many issues, to list all of them would be beyond the scope of this blog, but I hope I have shed some light or helped promote a new perspective on the long standing question of what exactly happened on the island. For more information on the conventional side of the story, as always, I recommend Diamond 2005, which regardless of which argument is correct provides a huge amount of important information on this topic, not just relating to Easter Island. 

As mentioned in my previous post, whichever story about Easter proves true, the tale of the island provides important lessons about not living beyond our environmental carrying capacity, not exploiting vulnerable environments and keeping careful about what species we introduce to fragile ecosystems. 



No comments:

Post a Comment